Work List Progress
With the New England weathers cooperation we have managed to make good progress on Malaya’s deck projects. Working under our winter cover, which acts nicely as a solar heater, we have removed all the teak from the cockpit seats and combings. They are now ready for grinding and I can begin to make the patterns for the new teak inlays.
The pictures don’t really show the condition of the teak, but over the years it has gotten too thin to recaulk. Now when it gets wet water gets underneath and takes forever to dry out, the water really can’t go anywhere, the teak is actually sitting in glassed inlays so other than being wet for a few days after it rains no harm done.
We will be replacing the teak on the cockpit seats with new but the combings themselves we will core and glass over then paint with non-skid thus eliminating the glass areas between the teak that can be slippery when one leaves the cockpit with wet feet.
This next week we will be concentrating on getting the teak decks themselves removed.
We also made a little progress down below, both the head in the forepeak and the head in the quarter cabin have been removed so now their respective areas are ready for their make over. More on this project to come.